Saturday, June 9, 2012

Brent Vernon the Ventriloquist and Sam the Dummy

Brent The Ventriloquis
 & Sam the Dummy


Photo: Me and the dude.


Website http://www.myspace.com/samthedummy 
http://www.SamtheDummy.com
http://www.facebook.com/SamtheDummy 

                                       ****************************************
Article written in the MORNING SUN:

VERSATILE ARTIST Brent Vernon wears many hats in his act — singer, songwriter, CD cover designer, booking concerts, as well as giving voice to ‘Sam’ 

By NIKKI PATRICK 
The Morning Sun 
Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 11:57 PM


PITTSBURG — When it comes to his shows, Brent Vernon does it all, from writing the songs (or at least doing original arrangements for the few songs he didn’t write) to booking concert dates and doing the artwork for his CD covers.

About the only help he gets is from Sam, who’s been sharing the stage since 1996. But there are those who say that Vernon has to do Sam’s talking for him.

A songwriter/singer and ventriloquist, Vernon will perform during an open house and garden party at 6:30 p.m. Friday by the Pittsburg Community Garden, located behind the First Christian Church.

The event will celebrate the beginning of the harvest at the garden. Included will be garden tours, games and a homemade ice cream contest.

Based in Florida, Vernon is now on tour. During an e-mail interview, he said that he does about 150 concerts a year, many of them at churches.

He admitted that booking his own concerts is not his favorite part of the process.

“I would much rather write a song than be stuck working through concert details with an event coordinator,” Vernon said. “But I am extremely grateful to stay so busy.”

He’s young, but still a veteran performer.

“I began writing and arranging music in high school,” Vernon said. “ I assembled a small vocal group and we took every opportunity we were given to perform. Eventually, we hired a road manager and hit the road full time. We traveled full time as a group for three years.”

When marriages and growing families required members to cut their touring schedule as a group, Vernon chose to continue on his own.

He is celebrating his 15th anniversary this summer.

Vernon said that his pal, Sam, joined him shortly after he began traveling full-time.

“My parents gave me a ventriloquist figure when I was very young and I performed with him, in very small ways, whenever I was asked,” he said. “On a Christmas tour in 1996, I was asked to bring along my pal to add some sparkle for the kids. The rest is history. Sam has been a hit with kids of all ages.”

Vernon has released several CDs, including “Take It to the Sky” and “Keys.” A few years ago Sam recorded a CD of his own.

“I’m constantly getting requests for him to do another,” Vernon said.

His music contains elements of pop, inspirational, adult contemporary, show and “a touch of jazz.”

Vernon chooses selections based on the needs of each event and the age of audience members.

But a common thread runs through all his music.

“I feel compelled to share my love for Jesus Christ in my songs,” he said. “All of my songs and messages come from that wellspring. I hope the show is entertaining and heart warming, but it can’t end there. There are themes of surrender, eternal hope, and grace woven throughout.”

A love offering will be accepted to help with Vernon’s expenses.

Homemade ice cream will be served after his concert.

A $3 donation is requested, and those attending will be able to vote for their favorite ice cream. Contest prizes include gift cards for Fat Daddy’s and Chatters and two coupons from NPC for a free large pizza.





****************************************

"Sam, You're No Dummy" T-Shirts
Buy It

I AM SO ENJOYING HAVING BRENT AND SAMMY ON MY BLOG I HOPE MY READERS WILL ENCOURAGE THEIR CHILDREN TO FOLLOW SAMMY ON HIS SITES.  I AM SURE ON HIS FACEBOOK PAGE HE WOULD ENJOY  ANY YOUR QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really love comments so please leave me some interesting tidbits.