Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fav Craft Tutorial Contestant - Amanda at Ninth Street Notions

Welcome Amanda from Ninth Street Notion to It's About Time Mamaw's.
Whichever contestant has the most comments will win a prize package valued at $90.
Viewers can make a total of 4 comments each up until the end of August for their choice for the best tutorial for the month of August. So be sure to leave your comment!


Hi everybody! I'm Amanda, from Ninth Street Notions. I like to share fun crafts, sewing projects, and recipes on my blog. Feel free to come check me out sometime.


Up until last winter I didn't even know how to sew a button. If I got a tear in something or lost a button, I just got a new item of clothing.

But I got tired of not being able to find clothes that I liked and that fit. So I decided to learn to sew, so I could make my own clothes. That led to me learning to make various other items for around the house, like this pillow.


I developed this idea after seeing a little girl's dress that had a cute little ribbon and buttonhole detailing around the collar. I wanted to use that same look for other things. Here are the directions for making your own. This project is great because you can change up the ribbon to match your decor.


Gather your materials:

(1) 17"x17" piece of muslin
(2) 17"x10.5" pieces of muslin
(2) 24"x7/8" pieces of ribbon
polyester stuffing
(the muslin pieces can easily be cut out of 1 yard of fabric)


On each of the smaller muslin pieces, fold down 2" on the long edge and press. They should now be 17"x8.5".


Along the raw edge use a decorative stitch or zigzag, depending on your machine's capabilities. This will secure the folded section. Repeat for the other small muslin piece.


Place a ruler along the edge of these pieces. Mark a 1" line at the 3", 6", 11", and 14" spots, in between the fold and decorative stitch. Repeat for the other small piece.


Use your machine's button hole function to sew a buttonhole over each of these lines. Carefully tear out the center using a seam ripper. Repeat for the other small piece.


Attach the two smaller pieces to each other, both pieces right side up. Carefully line up the buttonholes on each piece. Pin together, so you don't lose the placement.


Now lay the ribbons over the buttonholes. Leave a small section hanging out on the edges. Lay the large muslin piece right side down over the ribbon. Pin together.

Sew all around the edge using a 1/4" seam allowance. Clip the corners and turn through the center gap. Poke out the corners. Fill with stuffing.


Run the ribbon through the button holes. You will probably need to push the stuffing and pull the two front pieces a little bit to get the placement correct.


Finish with a little decorative knot or a bow. If you would like longer tails on the bow, make your ribbon pieces longer.

Thanks for letting me share this easy project with you!












Amanda I want to thank you for entering the contest and sharing this great tutorial with us. Good luck!

Patricia aka mamaw

18 comments:

  1. Love this tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    We're your newest GFC followers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pillow since it can go from room to room or change anytime you need a different color to coordinate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew how to do things like that! -_-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    I am following back!

    GORGEOUS blog and this pillow is SO CUTE!!!
    I LOVE the green ribbon paired with the muslin.

    - jenny at dapperhouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Returning the love from the hop! :) Your newest follower.

    http://thriftyninja.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi! thanks for the follow! following back!
    Luv,
    Mare
    check out twitter and fb too!
    @mareciarricco
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Its-just-me-being-me-BLOG/139514669459269?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is so cute and the tutorial! you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well for not getting into sewing until 9 months ago, this looks like amazing work. Great job!!

    P.S. Following back!


    Heather From and Mommy Only Has 2 Hands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe you have only been sewing a short time!! Your sewing skills rock!!! PJ Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, very, very cute! And versatile!

    Thanks for visiting and following my blog. I already follow via GFC, Networked Blogs and Twitter. I added FB today!

    Mandi
    Smile and Mama With Me

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make this look so easy!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Following you now on Networked Blogs from the Wild Wednesday Hop!

    Christina
    Spilled Milkshake

    ReplyDelete
  12. So creative.. I wish I could sew. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Here to follow back. Have a wonderful day!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog following u back

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I knew how to sew, can't sew to save my life!!

    Mahalo for visiting my blog, I'm following you too!

    You should totally try the Sponsored Tweets, it's free (which is why I gave it a try lol), but it's really easy too. I'm also on Social Spark, but for some reason I have a hard time with that one. I completed my first offer w/ Sponsored Tweets and it was super easy. Keep me posted, I'd like to hear what you think of it!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. following back from the Wednesday hop! Thanks for stopping by my blog! You should come back and enter my giveaway for $50 to Robertscrafts.com if you get a chance. It looks like it is right up your alley! It ends 8/16

    http://brookiesbabybargains.blogspot.com/2011/08/50-roberts-crafts-gift-cardcoupon-code.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that pillow! I have bookmarked this page. Thanks for linking up for the Wild Wednesday Hop! Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! I want to start sewing.. so I can this one! ;)

    Following you back! Thanks a lot for stopping by my blog!

    Your new bloggy friend,
    Angie
    www.littleinspiration.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a cute pillow. It would look great in a print as well as a solid. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete

I really love comments so please leave me some interesting tidbits.